This is no ordinary Interceptor. A genuine JIA built Interceptor S conversion with fully uprated suspension including independent rear, modern LS3 6.2l V8 with 430 bhp driving though modern 6 speed auto transmission and reined in with huge AP racing front brakes, this is a thoroughly modern, reliable, efficient high performance classic car.
ULEZ and road fund licence exempt, the modern mechanicals mean complete reliability in traffic or at sustained high speed whilst modern engine management means vastly improved mpg and exhaust emissions. Efficient heating and A/C, a spacious interior with generous boot, power steering, excellent brakes, excellent visibility, comfy seats and all wrapped in the very coolest of shapes topped off with a glorious V8 soundtrack, could this be just the perfect London car?... or the perfect car full stop?
The donor car began life in 1975 and underwent considerable body restoration to a high standard in the mid 90s, along with fresh carpets (since replaced again) and a full reconnollisation of the original leather. We have all the bills to prove this and even documents back to the first MoT in 1978! The car suffered engine failure shortly after being returned to the road and it seems the owner moved abroad at this time leaving the car stored in an air chamber in a dry domestic garage for the next 20+ years.
Upon extraction from the garage it was found to be a genuine timewarp car, an amazing advert for the efficiency of a “Carcoon”. The bodywork and brightwork had all survived completely unharmed with the paint still retaining a good lustre, the interior was likewise in amazing condition with carpets fresh and connollisation still looking remarkably good. Dash, instruments, seatbelts etc were all re-useable and even the vehicle electrics were in good order, the car having received a new loom during restoration. Mechanically, however, dead engine (removed), brakes unserviceable, all rubbers and hoses perished, ancient tyres, dried out wheel bearing grease etc etc etc, all needed completely starting again.
JIA Interceptor “S” conversion:
In other words the absolutely perfect car to receive a full mechanical conversion from JIA:
- Engine & gearbox complete with all ancillaries, cooling system, engine wiring & ECU, everything is all replaced with factory fresh GM parts, the main event being the excellent LS3 engine & 6 speed auto box.
- Front suspension & steering are completely stripped to bare components and fully rebuilt with all new parts including enhanced AP racing brakes, improved geometry and a fully rebuilt original rack.
- Rear axle is completely replaced with a fully independent rear suspension set up, derived from Jaguar and using a 2.88 ratio LSD, fully adjustable springs and dampers and all new bearings, brakes (outboard) bushes etc.
- Fuel tank is replaced using a new JIA spec mild steel item incorporating the requisite high pressure GM fuel pump assembly etc.
- Exhaust is a full new stainless system throughout built to JIA spec and an absolute work of art.
- Wheels are a cast Alloy 17” replica of the original Jensen “Coffin” alloys and are shod with a modern tyre.
All of the above is identical in specification to the full Interceptor R, a car which now costs over double the asking price of this vehicle and takes 18 months to build.
Like many Interceptor S conversions this car has benefited from further expenditure thereby bringing it even closer to R spec and including:
All of the above work was carried out during 2016 and 2017 with extensive photographs taken throughout, since then the car has been highly cherished, dry stored, used only on special occasions in fair weather and maintained religiously. At the present time the car has not quite completed 6,000 miles since it was built and is, as such, virtually “new”
The body and paint still look absolutely fabulous with only a small blemish on the tailgate to mention.
The interior is still very attractive indeed, the carpets are immaculate, dash top has some typical minor cracking, the original leather remains supple and sound whilst the 90s reconnolisation has mellowed with age.
Mechanically, the car is, of course, perfect. Starting instantly and running like a new car complete with working A/C, modern cooling system, excellent brakes, no untoward noises etc, ready to go anywhere on the planet.
This car could not be repeated today at this price and is available for purchase immediately though please note the private registration number will be transferred off before sale and the car will revert to a “P” suffix registration.
Located in Banbury, Oxon, serious enquirers are encouraged to view, this car will not disappoint.